Grave is an ancient fortified town on the Maas, and forms part of the Southern Waterline. The municipality currently has about 12.000 inhabitants. Grave was build shortly after 1133 as a alodium of the lords of Cuijk. In the 12th century actually started building the castle and houses. The strengthening of the city was founded in the 13thcentury. The fortifications are in various phases of Grave establised. The original topography is still to observe.

Phase 1: Medieval fortifications (earth bank and ditch wooden palisade)

Phase 2: ca 1577-1602 (bastion ring, four bastions and two half bastions according to old Dutch method)

Phase 3: 1602-1674 (ravelins construction work and hear, rebuilding the French fortress builder Vauban)

Phase 4: 1674-1874 integration in the new Dutch defense system, the architects Paul  Storff de Belville and Menno van Coehoorn (French method) Phase 5: 1874-heden (Vestingswet, dismantling) Parts are preserved, including the Hampoort.


  • City map of Grave in 1649, signed by J. Blaeu (source Reuters Ac Magnum Theatrum Urbium Belgicae Liberae Foederatae Ac)
  • Plan of the City with all the Grave New World of Work (January 1749) of DW Hattinga and Anth Hattinga
  • Grave 1865, edition of Hugo Suringar from Leeuwarden
  • The Hampoort







Comments are closed.